Re: st: random coefficient model for cross-sectional data?

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: random coefficient model for cross-sectional data?
Date   Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:10:53 +0000 (GMT)

--- On 3/12/2011 7:35 AM, Jian Zhang wrote:
> > I have a data set on individual wage incomes along
> > with education and other individual characteristics.
> > It is reasonable that the education gives different
> > returns to different people therefore the coefficient
> > for education is random coefficient: everyone has an
> > unique slope. but I only have one year of data on
> > individual wage incomes.  So it is still possible to
> > use random coefficient model?

As mary explained there is just no way to estimate the
model you want.  Such individual level effects are just
unidentified.  Even though it is impossible to estimate
these individual level effects, it is often possible to
get some leverage on the average of these effects.  To
see a list of references and programs relevant to Stata,
type in Stata: -findit average treatment effect-

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie