st: automate selection of variables and observations from multiple CSV

From   Argyn Kuketayev <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: automate selection of variables and observations from multiple CSV
Date   Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:27:05 -0400

Hello

I have a bunch of CSV files like YYYYMM.txt, they contain monthly
observations of some entities. I want to create a subset of entity
ids, then create a huge data set which consists of the monthly
observations of this subset of entities and subset of variables.

Each monthly file fits into memory, but all of them will not.

So at the moment I know how to use insheet to get one month in memory.
Then I could drop unnecessary variables. Then somehow I should drop
unnecessary entities. Or even better not load them with insheet.

Then I should do the same with all other months, and somehow append them.

can you suggest me which STATA commands could be used for this?

cheers
--
Argyn Kuketayev