Re: st: CSV read with limits

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: CSV read with limits
Date   Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:54:00 +0000

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Dimitriy V. Masterov
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Also, csv files have a limit of 70K rows, so watch out.

Really?

Are you sure this is not an issue when using CSV files with M$-Excel?

CSV files are just plain ASCII and there's no reason why there should
be a limit on the number of lines.

To check I just tried putting the line number into a test file and
counted the number of lines and I could get 80000 lines into a text
file no problem (this is a GNU/Linux system using some simple Bash
scripting and the 'wc' command to count the number of lines)...

$ for x in $(seq 1 80000); do echo '"$x"' >> test.txt; done
$ wc -l test.txt
80000 test.txt

First line appends the number to the files test.txt 80000 times, the
second line then counts the number of lines in test.txt

All 80000 numbers were echoed to the file and present and it wasn't
truncated at 70000 lines.

Neil
--
“Truth in science can be defined as the working hypothesis best suited
to open the way to the next better one.” - Konrad Lorenz

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura.no-ip.org/