st: RE: xtsum with value labels?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: xtsum with value labels?
Date   Wed, 9 Mar 2011 16:50:16 +0000

I will assume you mean variable labels throughout.

The bad news is that there is no option to do this for you and no visible user-written alternative that I can see.

The good news is that -xtsum- is defined by a relatively short .ado file so that in principle you could just clone the .ado file and change the code to show variable labels. In practice, as variable labels tend to be much longer than variable names, you would need to give yourself plenty of space to do this properly while also keeping output within manageable limits for monitor and/or other versions (e.g. printed).

D-Ta

simple question: is there any modification of the xtsum command that
shows variable labels instead of variables names in the output??

I know for simple summarize there issummvl

Whats the corresponding approach for xtsum?