st: RE: Mata equivalent for R's which() or matlabs find() functions?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Mata equivalent for R's which() or matlabs find() functions?
Date   Tue, 1 Mar 2011 17:35:21 +0000

I think the test is whether what is needed can be written if there is no obvious candidate. Perhaps there is; but here is a sketch:

real colfind(transmorphic matrix M, transmorphic colvector v) {

real j
rowvector indices
indices = J(1,0,.)

for(j = 1; j <= cols(M); j++) {
	if (M[,j] == v) indices = indices , j
}

return(indices)

}

: y = J(4,2,(1..4))

: y
       1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
    +---------------------------------+
  1 |  1   2   3   4   1   2   3   4  |
  2 |  1   2   3   4   1   2   3   4  |
  3 |  1   2   3   4   1   2   3   4  |
  4 |  1   2   3   4   1   2   3   4  |
    +---------------------------------+

: colfind(y, J(4,1,4))
       1   2
    +---------+
  1 |  4   8  |
    +---------+

: text = J(1,4,("foo", "bar"))

: text
         1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8
  1 |  foo   bar   foo   bar   foo   bar   foo   bar  |

: colfind(text, "foo")
       1   2   3   4
  1 |  1   3   5   7  |

Sebastian Eppner

I am desperately looking for a Mata function that gives me the column
indices of columns that satisfy certain conditions.

For MATLAB, find() can solve the job. In R, which() does it.

I look for something like this in Mata, but haven't found anything
yet. It seems too basic to not be included...