Re: st: Category sizes in IF statements - how?

From   [email protected] (Brendan Halpin)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Category sizes in IF statements - how?
Date   Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:18:48 +0000

My first reaction to your question is that you have event history data,
so you should use hazard rate models, but then I see you want to compare
logistic regression with a hazard-rate model.

My second reaction is to guess that your logistic regression will
perform less well. But you should try it anyway, with a crude "period of
observation" variable. The more you think about how to handle the years
of observation, the more obvious a hazard-rate model seems.

A third suggestion would be to try a complementary-log-log model
(-cloglog-). These can perform better than logistic where the result is
due to cumulative exposure, even if you don't take account of time of
exposure. Mind you, they also bring you back towards hazard modelling,
as they have a hazard-rate interpretation.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F1-009 x 3147