Re: st: RE: questions about Fixed Effect models

Subject   Re: st: RE: questions about Fixed Effect models
Date   Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:51:18 -0500

Jeff--
One problem when computing the variance of the teacher effects is that
these are noisily estimated; see e.g. the discussion in -fese- on SSC:
http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/f/fese.html
"
[FE] standard errors are not usually computed in a fixed-effects
regression, but we may need them. One example takes student test
scores as the dependent variable and teacher assignments as the
explanatory variables, as in Rothstein (2007), where the fixed effects
measure the assumed additive effect of a teacher on her students' test
scores. The variance of estimated fixed effects captures both the
variance of true fixed effects and the variance of the estimator: the
variance of true fixed effects (i.e. how disparate are teachers'
apparent impacts on students' scores) can be estimated as the observed
variance in estimated fixed effects less the best estimate for the
variance of the estimator, which is the mean of squared standard
errors.
"
Putting in lagged achievement (test score) is not in general a good
idea, since this is measured with error--if you instrument for lagged
achievement you will get a coef near one, whereas if you treat it as
measured without error, you get a coef nearer 0.6 which is presumably
biased downward by classical measurement error.  The equation y_t = .6
y_{t-1} + Xb may be subtracting off the wrong quantity, effectively
regressing y_t - .6 y_{t-1} on X, which can introduce bias in
estimates of b (add'l .4 times lagged ach in the error may be
correlated with X).  On the other hand, some would argue that "decay"
means that the true coef on lagged achievement should not really be
one.