st: re: conflicting tests for normality

From   Kouji Asakura <[email protected]>
To   statalist digest <[email protected]>
Subject   st: re: conflicting tests for normality
Date   Fri, 25 Feb 2011 07:34:04 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for your informative responses. I'll bear these things in mind for my
research.
Koji Asakura

In addition, note that there need be no contradiction here. For example, a
distribution might be approximately symmetric but have fatter tails than the
normal, or asymmetric but happen to have about the same kurtosis as a normal.
Furthermore, it is rare that the marginal normality of a variable is quite what
you should be worried about. Even when normality is an assumption, it is usually
that responses are conditionally normal given predictors, or equivalently that
disturbances are normal, and that's usually the least important assumption being
made, although for bizarre reasons it's often the assumption that is most
scrutinised.  Nick  On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Maarten buis