Re: st: Wald test in Random Coefficient Model

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Wald test in Random Coefficient Model
Date   Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:05:54 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 24/2/11, Joerg Luedicke wrote:
> you could do to check if the variation of the effect across
> country is sort of considerable is to do a likelihood ratio
> test in which you compare the model fit with and without the
> random coefficient (-help lrtest-).

The bahavior of this test is not quite what we would expect.
The problem is that the null hypothesis is on the boundary of
the parameter space, i.e. the null hypothesis is that the
country level variance equals 0, and a variance can only be
>= 0. There is a discussion of that in (Gutierrez et al. 2001).

In the simulation below you can see that the distribution of
the p-values for the likelihood ratio test of a true null-
hypothesis for this variance really deviate from the uniform
distribution. Remember, that a test should reject a true null-
hypothesis 5% of the samples when we choose a significance
level of 5%, 10% of the samples when we choose a significance
level of 10%, etc. This means that a good performing test
should yield p-values that follow a uniform distribution.

*-------------------- begin example --------------------
program drop _all
program define sim, rclass
	drop _all
	set obs 50
	gen country = _n
	expand 10
	gen x = rnormal()
	gen y = runiform() < invlogit(0 + x)

	xtset country

	logit y x
	est store a

	xtlogit y x
	est store b

	lrtest a b, force
	return scalar p = r(p)
end
simulate p=r(p), reps(1000) : sim
quantile p, aspect(1)
*------------------ end example ------------------
(For more on examples I sent to the Statalist see:
http://www.maartenbuis.nl/example_faq )

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Gutierrez, R., S. Carter, and D. M. Drukker. 2001. On
boundary-value likelihood-ratio tests. Stata Technical Bulletin,
60: 15–18.
<http://stata-press.com/journals/stbcontents/stb60.pdf>

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie