st: Re: database store

From   "Joseph Coveney" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: database store
Date   Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:43:37 +0900

Argyn Kuketayev wrote:

I'm looking for the best approach to use stata with data stored in
relational database?

should i use external tools to download data into flat files, then
analyse in stata?
should i use odbc from within stata to load data into memory?

When you use -odbc-, the Stata log file can have a complete record of all of
the data manipulation.  When you use several different software programs along
the way, the trail of data manipulation is usually more difficult to audit.

I'm not aware of much that you can do with an external tool to download data
into flat files that you cannot do more easily in Stata working directly from
the relational database via -odbc-.

Joseph Coveney