Re: st: svy adjustment for rates

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: svy adjustment for rates
Date   Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:00:27 -0500

Sujit-

 -svy: ratio- and -svy: poisson- give different CIs because one works on ratio scale (ratio ± k*SE) and the other works on the log scale and then transforms to the ratio scale.  In the sampling texts, the -svy: ratio- approach is presented. In statistics, different consistent estimators of the same quantity are frequently encountered.  Contrary to your belief, both the -svy: ratio- and -svy: poisson- standard errors are "correctly" survey-adjusted.  I happen to like the CI based on the log ratio, because the CI for X/Y can be found by inverting the endpoints of the CI for Y/X; thus the two CIs give the same conclusions.  Also I suspect the log-based CIs are more accurate. With large enough samples there is little difference.

Steve

Steven J. Samuels
Consulting Statistician
18 Cantine's Island