Re: st: svy adjustment for rates

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: svy adjustment for rates
Date   Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:57:17 -0500

Sujit Rathod -

Sujit-

"And while I can run something like -svy: ratio deaths/survival_time- these do not give me the correct (Poisson?) CIs."

Absolutely incorrect.  Survey-adjusted standard errors are based not on the Poisson assumption, but on the repetitions of the sampling procedure. To see why, I recommend a good sampling text such as Sharon Lohr, Sampling: Design and Analysis, Duxbury, 1999 and 2009.

Below is code. The point estimates are the same, but I would prefer the result from -svy: poisson-, because it gives asymmetric CIs based on the log of the ratio.

*******************
sysuse auto, clear
svyset _n

svy: ratio rep78/turn, over(foreign)

xi, noomit: svy: poisson rep78 i.foreign, nocons exposure(turn) irr
xi, noomit: svy: nbreg   rep78 i.foreign, nocons exposure(turn) irr

Steve

Steven J. Samuels
Consultant in Statistics
18 Cantine's Island