Re: st: LEVINSHON-PETRIN COMMANDS

From   Markus Eberhardt <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: LEVINSHON-PETRIN COMMANDS
Date   Tue, 22 Feb 2011 11:53:20 +0000

The canned levpet command for Levinsohn & Petrin (2003, REStud) is
relatively restrictive in what you can and cannot include in the
estimation equation (e.g. you are still looking at a Cobb-Douglas
form). You can of course code the estimator yourself, but this may be
a bridge too far for many Stata users. Together with my buddy
Christian Helmers I've written a detailed introduction to these
production function estimators ("Untested Assumptions and Data
Slicing", see: https://sites.google.com/site/medevecon/publications-and-working-papers#TOC-Working-Papers-and-Work-in-Progress)
for which we're also disseminating the Stata code... just not yet (we
need to clean the code and especially the ACF needs to be implemented
much more efficiently).

I think it'd be better to familiarise yourself with the literature on
these estimators before rushing in and running some pre-coded
estimation command...

Markus Eberhardt
ESRC Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Centre for the Study of African
Economies, Department of Economics, University of Oxford
Stipendiary Lecturer, St Catherine's College, Oxford

web: http://sites.google.com/site/medevecon/home
email: [email protected]
twitter: http://twitter.com/sjoh2052
mail: Centre for the Study of African Economies, Department of
Economics, Manor Rd, Oxford OX1 3UQ, England