st: RE: RE: AW: Search for string values in dataset??

From   "Liao, Junlin" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: AW: Search for string values in dataset??
Date   Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:35:26 +0000

Very clever. We can simply apply either the -lower- or -upper- function to both the argument in -strmatch-, -regexm-, or -index-(strops) functions. It will render those functions case insensitive. Thanks,

Junlin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Eric Booth
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2011 10:18 AM
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: st: RE: RE: AW: Search for string values in dataset??

<>

One way to match insensitive to case would be to create a lowercase (and (optionally) temporary) version of the string variable and match on that, so:

*********************!
clear
inp str10(var1)
"GmbH7UuIZ"
"GMbH7UuIZ"
"gmbh7Uuiz"
end

//1.  from Markus and Junlin//
g one = 1 if strmatch(var1, "*GmbH*")
g byte two = regexm(var1, "GmbH")
list var1 if regexm(var1, "GmbH")

//2.  Another option:  index //
g str10 three = var1 if index(var1, "GmbH") g str10 four = var1 if index(var1, "gmbh") list var1 if index(var1, "GmbH")

//3.  case insensitive - lower case matches // tempvar var1_lower g `var1_lower' = lower(var1) g str10 five = var1 if index(`var1_lower', "gmbh")
/* could evaluate to 1 if matched (instead of var1 contents) */ l *********************!

- Eric
__
Eric A. Booth