Re: st: question on zero inflated regression

From   Nicola Man <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: question on zero inflated regression
Date   Mon, 21 Feb 2011 14:55:56 +1100

Hi Rachel,

Yes, you are quite likely to be correct about variables not measured for the zero-inflated component. It was a relatively small data set that has few variables measured and I had actually been advised to take the Bayesian approach instead which I am still working on at the moment.

Regards,
Nicola

------------------------------
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:07:29 +0000
From: rachel grant <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: st: question on zero inflated regression

Thanks Nicola and Nick for your input. I suppose another possibility
in your case Nicola that there are variables generating the zeros (no
parasite eggs) but you have not measured these?

In my case, two of seven variables were significant predictors of
zeroes (both temperature), and that makes sense because at low
temperatures amphibians cannot move. I also have checked the Voung
score and it indicates that zero inflated is better for my data. I
have two other questions however!

1. If I change the order of the variables sometimes the p value of
each variable changes although the overall LR and P for the model
remains similar. Why does this happen and what can i do about it?

2. when I try to get a better fitting model by removing nonsignificant
variables the log-likelihood decreases slightly. I am not sure why
this happens or what to do

Many thanks

Rachel Grant
Dept. Life Sciences