Re: st: FW: How can I analyse a timeseries dataset appropriately?

From   Gordon Hughes <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: FW: How can I analyse a timeseries dataset appropriately?
Date   Sat, 19 Feb 2011 07:58:11 +0000

Since no-one else has picked this up, let me offer a few brief comments:

1. You have panel, not time series, data - 20 observations on 5 newspapers. Look at -xtreg- or -xtregar- with either fixed (FE) or random effects (RE). There are matters of statistical philosophy that differentiate these methods, but there might not be a statistically observable difference in practice when you have only 5 panels.

2. You have a set of time series variables that are identical for all 5 panels, so that any differences between newspapers reflect either the editorial policies of the newspapers or some other panel-specific variables. On this basis you can't estimate separate time dummies. You should consider getting more variables on the characteristics of the newspapers - e.g. the average income or education of their readers.

3. You refer to random coefficient models. Given the nature of your data, -xtrc- should be equivalent to seemingly unrelated regression -sur-, but again the number of panels is small. You could look at -xtmixed- using newspaper as the id variable.

Gordon Hughes
[email protected]

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:33:36 +0100
From: "Claus D. Hansen" <[email protected]>
Subject: st: FW: How can I analyse a timeseries dataset appropriately?

Dear list-members,

I have a dataset I have assembled myself but I am having trouble figuring
out just how to analyse it properly.

I have a dataset consisting of a variable indicating how big a share of the
total articles in a newspaper sickness absence has had for that specific
year (this is a continuous variable).

I have this information for 5 newspapers in the period 1991-2010 which means
I have 100 observations all in all.

For each year I have some information ­ i.e. what government is ruling in
that year (dummy variable), how big unemployment was, the average sickness
absence rate and how many public money was used on sickness absence (last
three are all continuous variables) ­ these

I want to know which of the independent variables predict the share of
articles about sickness absence ­ and I want to know if there is a ?time
effect?, i.e. I want to know if there is an association between year and the
share of articles on sickness absence when adjusting for the above mentioned
independent variables ­ and if the ?time effect? disappears I want to know
which of the independent variables are ?responsible? for explaining how the
?time effect? disappears.

I know that it will be wrong to use standard OLS ­ because it?s a time
series the observations will not be independent - another problem is that my
independent variables are not specific to each of the 5 observations on the
share of sickness absence articles.

I suspect I should be using some kind of random effects modeling but I might
be wrong ­ can anyone point me to the right way of analyzing this?

Thank you in advance,

Claus D. Hansen
Assistant professor
Aalborg University