RE: st: A bug in egen and gen?

From   "Liao, Junlin" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: A bug in egen and gen?
Date   Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:43:04 +0000

Unless someone changed the command, my version of Stata 11 does not compress double to float when it can do so. This is also indicated in the documentation. However, I can recast a variable to float if there is no loss of precision, otherwise I have to put in the /force option to force convert with loss of precision.

To have a default option to compress and save has its advantages. Of course I can program it. But that would not be necessary. If I remember to run the command I create, I can simply type in -compress- command. My point is for user convenience.

The same can be said of double vs. float issue. True, Stata does what you ask it to do. But do I really need to put all parameters around what I need? Do I need to tell Stata that I want the data stored as double when double is the only choice to accurately record the data? I do not think so. That's why I commented that it is necessary to improve Stata.

Precision is not noise. At most it's simply waste of storage space. But it does not detract from the value of the dataset. Noise is a negative thing. As I pointed out, practically there is only about 10% to gain and this gain can be easily compensated with more careful management of data.

One reason I make such a recommendation is how easily it could be achieved technically. If -compress- is improved, then a simple automatic call of this command will do the job. The user can write his own program to do ANOVA, should he do that? When Stata encounters a request by users, it should do the job up to its capability. In terms of importance, I think precision is in the domain of quality and storage is in the domain of quantity. I just cannot bring myself to agree with the proposition that we need to sacrifice precision for storage, let alone such a trade-off does not exist where I encountered this problem in the first place.

Because double vs. float can be solved by setting preferences, I do not include it in my commendations. but I do want to show my logic here.

thanks,

Junlin
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] on behalf of Nick Cox [[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:20 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: A bug in egen and gen?

The term "noise" was I think used by Maarten, but I agree with him and
Bill Gould on this issue.

It is unnecessary to suggest that -compress- maps -double-s to
-float-s when there is  no loss of precision, because it will already
do so. In fact it will go all the way down to -byte- if there is no
loss of precision.

I don't think that adding a -compress- option to -save- is a
particularly important addition, because I already showed how you can
do that for yourself, but it would do no harm and it is an idea for
StataCorp to consider.

I think you are muddying the waters by raising issues of whether
people are being defensive of Stata, and so forth. That's not
material. For example, I have pointed out many mistakes in Stata
programs and documentation over the years, and I never defend
something I think is wrong. Also, I did not suggest that you have an
"attitude problem". The words and the inference are yours alone. My
point, standard in computing, is that a program does what you ask, not
what you want. If you want -double- results for -generate- or -egen-,
you merely have to ask for them in Stata, and this has been true for
many years. This is all apparent from reading the documentation. As I
pointed out in my first reply, you can program other possibilities for
yourself.

Nick

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Liao, Junlin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sarah,
>
> I hope my discussion is making contribution instead of detraction to Stata. Most of the users subscribed to this list are somewhat committed to Stata. We all wishes improvement and perfection of Stata. But somehow I get a sense that it's not easy for people from Stata to recognize perspectives raised by users. I have suggested some feature changes. 1. have an option for user to compress data before saving data files; 2. the -compress- command should recast double to float when variable values will not change. I hope someone is taking note of such issues.
>
> In terms of default to double or float, I'm voicing what I see as the other side of coin. Practically I see no relevance of memory and storage. There is a strong reason behind this. Other than the exponential increase in computing capacity, there is a clear logic favoring my preference. Suppose memory and storage issues do arise in practice. I need to adjust memory allocated to Stata from time to time. So I know I have such a problem. It gets corrected. How about instances not in "most of time" that a double is required but a float is used? Will I get a warning that Stata generated inaccurate results? No. I would assume everything is OK and proceed with analysis with wrong results. Nick used the word "noise" to describe the gain in precision in double data type. I would not consider that as appropriate. It's definitely not noise. Noise is unwanted and precision is desirable.
>
> We need to come back to Nick's first reply. He suggested that I had a attitude problem by demanding two much of Stata. Really? Per Mr. Gould's article about precision, we know for sure that double precision is what Stata used for calculation--if this was not true, I would be worrying about many statistical reports I generated before. So, we know Stata has the correct data at hand (for the -gen- and -egen- commands). However, because of data settings, Stata chooses to store it in a wrong type of data. Should Stata figure out the correct data type? It's a matter of opinion. But can Stata figure out the correct data type to store numeric values? My knowledge and experience of Stata are limited. But I'm 100% confident that Stata or programmers of Stata can. It's simply a matter of willingness and attitude. With a defiant attitude, Stata cannot be that "smart". My no. 3 suggestion is indeed to make the -gen- and -egen- commands smarter to be able to figure the CORRECT data type!
 --!