Re: st: A bug in egen and gen?

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: A bug in egen and gen?
Date   Thu, 17 Feb 2011 20:50:56 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 17/2/11, Nick Cox wrote:
> As said, do read Bill Gould's blog entries on precision.

Couldn't agree more, see below, also for links to these
entries.

--- Liao, Junlin wrote:
> appropriate data type. Therefore, my recommendation for
> Stata to use double as default calculation and finally
> select the appropriate type to store data is sensible.

This would not be my recommendation.

I see roughly three different roles for variables:

o an identification number: these can get sometimes
  very large and you really want to strore the number
  exactly, so you should consider storing those as
  either doubles or strings.

o an intermediate result in a computation: you should
  try to minimize rounding error in a computation, so
  go for doubles.

o real data: there is no way you collected to such a
  degree of precision that you would need more than
  float to store it. doubles are real overkill and
  only give you a false sense of precision.

Bill just posted on how ridiculous the degree of
overkill this really is. I'll just repeat one example:

"The U.S. deficit in 2011 is projected to be $1.5
trillion. One hopes that a grand total of $26,624 —
the error that would be introduced by storing this
projected deficit in float precision — would not be
a significant factor in any lawmaker’s decision
concerning the issue."

For this quote and many more see:
<http://blog.stata.com/2011/02/10/how-to-read-the-percent-21x-format-part-2/>

and: