RE: st: A bug in egen and gen?

From   "Liao, Junlin" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: A bug in egen and gen?
Date   Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:11:23 +0000

Storage wouldn't be a problem if we perform -compress- command regularly. I'm wondering if Stata can let you select an option whenever it saves data, it compresses. It will surely be handy to solve this problem.

Junlin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:04 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: A bug in egen and gen?

In practice, if StataCorp always warned you of everything that could bite you, the help would be much, much longer.

Your last suggestion would typically leave -double-s in place unless it so happened that the result was integers in every observation. To see why, study Bill Gould's recent postings on the StataCorp blog.
That would on average nearly double your storage. If you don't mind, you might as follow Stas' suggestion and -set type double-.

Spelling is Stata, not STATA.

Nick

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Liao, Junlin <[email protected]> wrote:

> I appreciate the quick reply and it's quite informative. I thought it's a bug but was not sure. Now I know if I use -generate- or -egen- command, I have to set type of numeric variables.
>
> I have no desire for a perfect STATA, however, I do see where STATA could make it better. A warning about default data type for numeric variables in respective commands help window could be helpful. Better yet, with increasing computing power, those commands should perform their calculations with the highest accuracy type and then perform a -compress- type operation to finalize the new variables. Just a thought.

Nick Cox