Re: re:st: pscore question

From   Dan Kimmel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: re:st: pscore question
Date   Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:54:57 -0600

Hello Ariel (et al),

My treatment is binomial -- it is just an indicator of whether the
respondent has experienced violence at school.  However, since
students at different schools have different risks of violence
exposure, I estimated the propensity score using an HLM.  (I suppose I
could do this with a dose-response model, but I'm having enough
trouble as it is.)

My outcome, however -- the variable on which I want to see if violence
exposure has any effect -- is an ordinal measure of general health
("excellent," "very good," "good," "fair," "poor").  I was originally
trying to stratify the observations into blocks, balanced on their
propensity scores and all other covariates, and then run a simple
ordinal regression model with block ID dummies.  However, I used quite
a number of covariates, and since I don't know of a way to estimate a
multilevel model using pscore or psmatch2, calculating the strata by
hand became prohibitively difficult.  psmatch2 uses propensity scores
calculated from an outside program, but (as far as I can tell) seems
to assume that the outcome is continuous.

I will take a look at the article you recommend.  Thanks for the tip.
Any further suggestions are still, of course, welcome.

Dan
--
Daniel M. Kimmel
Department of Sociology