Re: st: how to construct a mean squared Euclidean measure?

From   Mike Lacy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to construct a mean squared Euclidean measure?
Date   Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:15:31 -0700

>Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:24:57 +0000
>From: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
>
>Hi all,
>
>I am using Stata 10.1. I want to create a variable which captures the
>dissimilarity measure of a member who exit from a work group, sorted by firm
>and year. The dissimilarity is calculated in terms of the member¡¯s job
>tenure in the group with respect to other members¡¯ job tenures. More
>precisely the measure I am trying to construct is the mean squared Euclidean
>distance of a focal member i  from each incumbent team member j  and is
>given as: ¡Ì( ¡Æ(Xi ¨C Xj)2/(n-1)), where Xi is the tenure of the focal
>individual i, Xj is the tenure of incumbent j, with i not equal to j and n
>is the number of group members. Does anyone have an idea how to construct
>this measure using Stata? For more clarity, let me describe the data
>structure as below.

If I understand Chanchal correctly, I think this will work.  It is
probably not the most efficient approach, as it involves looping over cases,
but it ran in a few seconds on my puny machine even when I expanded
the data by 1000. A little byable program would probably be faster.

clear
input ObservationID Year FirmID MemberID Tenure
 1 1960 1 1 4
 2 1960 1 2 2
 3 1960 1 3 1
 4 1960 2 4 2
 5 1960 2 5 1
 6 1961 1 1 4
 7 1961 1 3 2
 8 1961 2 2 0
 9 1961 2 4 3
 10 1961 2 5 2
end
//
egen group = group(FirmID Year)  // I think this is what is intended
sort group
egen case1 = min(_n), by(group)
egen caseN = max(_n), by(group)
gen dij2 = 0
forval i = 1/`=_N' {
   quiet replace dij2 = dij2 + (Tenure- Tenure[`i'] )^2 ///
         if inrange(`i', case1, caseN)  // restrict to group members
}
// Inspect results before dividing, easier to check by eyeball
by group: list FirmID Year Tenure dij2
//
quiet replace dij2 = dij2/(caseN - case1) // n-1 within group

Regards,
Mike Lacy, Assoc. Prof.
Soc. Dept., Colo. State. Univ.
Fort Collins CO 80523 USA