Re: st: RE: SIPP survey in stata - calculations

Subject   Re: st: RE: SIPP survey in stata - calculations
Date   Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:23:02 -0500

Jimmy Jin <[email protected]>
The proper weight variable to use depends on the use to which you are
putting the data, but you cannot properly "apply the weight as a
probability weight using summarize or tabulate" since those commands
do not accept pweights; you must use -svy- commands, e.g.
svyset ssuid [pw=wpfinwgt]
svy: tab epensnyn

Much of the detail on the survey is on its website
(http://www.census.gov/sipp/) including a Users' Guide. If you do
ssc inst ddf2dct
help ddf2dct
you will see links to the NBER site you refer to; however the most
recent versions of the files and the fastest download times are always
from BLS (http://www.bls.census.gov/sipp_ftp.html).

However, it's not clear that the original poster who wants to
"calculate the nr of people and the percentage of working age who are
employed and are included in a retirement plan offered on their job
and not through the social security" can do so using the SIPP.  Is the
idea to find the number of uncovered workers (mostly state gov't
employees) who have other pensions?  This kind of question is probably
outside the scope of Statalist, though I am guessing there is
something apropos on the CBO website...