Re: st: reshape command without a j( ) variable using Stata 8

From   "Justina Fischer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: reshape command without a j( ) variable using Stata 8
Date   Tue, 15 Feb 2011 03:59:13 +0100

HI

are you sure you have a panel ? Is each patient observed > once ?

Justina

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 17:47:08 -0800 (PST)
> Von: Karen Rappaport <[email protected]>
> An: [email protected]
> Betreff: st: reshape command without a j( ) variable using Stata 8

> I  have a data set that I want to reshape from long to wide using Stata 8.
>  It
> contains 2748 unique respondent sequence numbers and a total of 3191
> observations. It is a data set of patients and medications they take.
> Some
> patients take two medications.
> Here are the variables:
> seqn (unique patient number; numeric)
> medID (medication ID number; string)
> medic (medication name; string)
> days90 (number of days medication taken in last 90 days; numeric)
> days30 (number of days medication taken in last 30 days; numeric)
> quant (quantity of medication taken daily)
> serving (label serving size; double)
> reason (reason for taking medication; double)
>
> At first, I thought this would be a straight forward case of reshaping
> "long to
> wide" with more than one variable.
>
> reshape wide medID medic days90 days30 quant serving reason ,  i(seqn) j(
> ??? )
>
> Essentially, all variables are shaped long to  wide so that I have only
> one set
> of observations per patient or "seqn".  (Is this essentially correct?) But
> what
> do I put in the j(  ) position?
>
> Thank you!
> Karen