Re: st: splitting strings

From   Daniel Henriksen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: splitting strings
Date   Mon, 14 Feb 2011 22:01:05 +0100

Hello Nick, Scott and Eric (and everyone else)

Thank you all for your input, the suggested solutions, and for
pointing out the differences! Nicks solution is the closest to what I
need, but I think I know where I can use Scott's way (in another
context).

@ Nick: I'm glad I didn't miss something when searching the archives
for this problem :-)

Sorry if this is a repost, I'm (still) having trouble with my email
Cheers
Daniel

2011/2/10 Nick Cox <[email protected]>:
> What a nice question. I'm credited as the original author of -split-, following earlier joint work with Michael Blasnik, and I don't think I thought of this rather natural question when writing it.
>
> I checked to see whether I had solved it by accident and I hadn't. Whatever you specify as argument to -parse()- is taken literally and not checked to see if it is a variable name.
>
> However, there is a work-around.
>
> clonevar V1_2 = V1
> replace V1_2 = subinstr(V1_2, V2, "&", .)
> split V1_2, parse(&)
>
> The essential is to use as new separator -- "&" in the example -- something that does not otherwise occur. You can test any potential separator by e.g.
>
> assert strpos(V1, "&") == 0
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>
> Daniel Henriksen
>
> I have a question regarding splitting up strings.
>  Is it possible to split up a string using a string from another
> variable defined in the same observation. I'm thinking of using the
> "split" command.
> Here's an example, where V1 is the string I'd like to split and V2 is
> where I'd like to split (different from each observation). V1_1 and
> V1_2 are the results of the splitting
> V1                                              V2
> V1_1          V1_2
> hello John Smith how are you?      John Smith     hello           how are you?
> I'm fine Jane, how about you         Jane,              I'm fine
> how about you?

– Skjul citeret tekst –
--
Daniel Henriksen