Re: st: question on zero inflated regression

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: question on zero inflated regression
Date   Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:13:12 +0000

A "significant P-value" is a form of words to avoid, although everyone
statistically-minded knows what you mean. But a very low P-value could
in principle be consistent with the opposite result that zeros tend to
correspond to hotter nights. Inspecting the sign of the coefficient
and plotting counts against minimum temperature are surely indicated.
Whether you need both temperature-related variables is difficult to
say, but you can run the various possible models and compare.

Nick

On 13 February 2011 21:41, Owen Gallupe <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Seems to me that there are a number of ways you can go with this:
>>
>> 1) if you don't have a theoretical justification as to why there is an
>> inflation of zeros, put in all variables as potential causes.
>> 2) don't use the zero inflated model at all. If there is reason to
>> suspect that the zero scores are simply part of the continuum of
>> scores (as in, the same causal factors related to scores of 1, 2,
>> etc., are the same factors as scores of zero but in varying degrees),
>> then a standard negative binomial might be better.
>>
>> In my opinion, this is a theoretical question.

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM, rachel grant