Re: st: computation across rows

From   Hewan Belay <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: computation across rows
Date   Fri, 11 Feb 2011 14:54:59 -0800 (PST)

Dear Nick,
I am a bit confused: Your suggested commands presume that there is a variable in the dataset called     obs    don't they? I nevertheless tried it out, and indeed my presumption was right, as I get the error message

. su obs if id==82, meanonly
variable obs not found
r(111);

Unless I am fully misunderstanding your suggestion? As to the other parts of your response: Yes, I certainly don't want to undertake these operations manually using the editor, as I may need to later revise the operations when I get more information about the data.

(To give a bit of an idea, my observations in my panel data are districts, and some of the districts have split as of a certain year, and I seek to aggregate back the characteristics for these split districts--so in the toy example, think of district #82 as having split into two (#85 and 89) in one of my panel years.)

In light of above mentioned error, please let me know if I misunderstood your suggestion.

Hewan