st: computation across rows

From   Hewan Belay <[email protected]>
To   Stata List <[email protected]>
Subject   st: computation across rows
Date   Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:17:09 -0800 (PST)

Dear Statalist,

I am trying to do something I expected to be very simple, but I'm not finding a
straightforward way to do this. Essentially, I would like to do discrete
computations across rows/observations (ie within variables). Here is an example
of what I mean, consider this toy dataset (I hope the table is easily visible):

id       Y    Z    W
81       4    1    3
82       .     0    9
85      2     4    1
87      3     1     4
89      6     2    5

For the id #82, I want the variables Y and W to take on the value that results
when adding their respective values for IDs #85 and 89. In the above toy
example, that means that the missing value would become an 8, and the value of 9
would change to 6. I definitely don't want to xpose or reshape my data, as I
have several other operations I am doing on the data given its current
structure.

So generally speaking, my question is how to do computations across selected
rows. I only have info on this with regard to computations X rows above or
beyond the concerned row, that is using the operation [n+1], or when getting
statistics for groups of rows using the -by- command.

Many thanks for any insights!
Hewan