st: Is multilevel model the correct model?

From   Shikha Sinha <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Is multilevel model the correct model?
Date   Wed, 9 Feb 2011 08:34:54 -0500

Hi there,

I have individual level data for 30 countries, and I am exploring the
effect of x on y. I estimate an OLS in the pooled sample with country
fixed effect and then estimate the same model for each country
separately. The aim of the analysis is to explore whether the
relationships between x and y are associated in ways that vary between
countries. Should multi-level models be used to demonstrate the extent
to which there is national variation in these relationships? Kindly
advise if the correct model is random intercept or random coefficient
or may be an interaction model will do the trick?

Thanks,
Shikha