Re: st: Non-linear regression: interpretation

From   "Justina Fischer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Non-linear regression: interpretation
Date   Wed, 09 Feb 2011 00:51:07 +0100

Hi

David is completely right.

I also would not focus on the marginal effects of the variables x and x2 separately when interpreting your findings.

Stata offers now a way to compute the total marginal effect (margins) - the first derivative of non-linear Y w.r.t x at certain value of x  - the user can specify this value herself (e.g. sample mean).

Aside: as David said, in your model the first derivative changes its value depending on where you are on the non-linear Y-function. This is not the case for a regression model without a quadratic term, where the first derivative (slope) is a simple constant.

Hope this helps

Justina

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Justina AV Fischer, PhD