RE: Antwort: Re: st: xtivreg2 with endogenous binary regressors

Subject   RE: Antwort: Re: st: xtivreg2 with endogenous binary regressors
Date   Tue, 8 Feb 2011 13:41:26 -0000

Justina, your intuition is pointing in the right direction.

In fact, for consistency of IV estimation, the first stage regression not only doesn't have to represent an "economically sound" model, it doesn't even have to represent an "econometrically sound" model.

The coefficients in the first stage of 2SLS don't have to correspond to any sound model or be consistent estimates of any model coefficients.  The first stage is just a calculation method using a linear projection.  The only coefficients being estimated are those in the main equation, and the requirement is that Z is orthogonal to the error in the main equation.

You can go down the route of interpreting the first stage as the estimate of a structural model if you want to.  And you can add some structure to it if you want.  This can get you efficiency gains.  In that case, though, you are out of the single-equation land of 2SLS ("limited information estimation") and in the land of multiple equation estimation ("full information estimation").

One other point relevant to the discussion with Felipe and Javier - Wooldridge's panel data book (Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data) discusses a procedure that obtains efficiency gains in this context by using a kind of first-stage probit to create a fitted value, and then using this fitted value as the instrument in IV/2SLS.  This procedure has the helpful practical advantage of not requiring ex post adjustment of the SEs.  I forget where exactly in the book this is discussed, but it's been mentioned on the list in the past and it shouldn't be hard to find.

--Mark

________________________________

	From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Justina Fischer
	Sent: 08 February 2011 10:18
	To: [email protected]
	Subject: Antwort: Re: st: xtivreg2 with endogenous binary regressors

	well, here it gets wobbly for me, too.

	My econometric intuition tells me (that may be wrong): the main purpose of the first stage regression is to have an econometrically sound model that predicts values for the endogenous variable X, using a valid instrument Z.
	It is not the purpose of the first stage to be economically sound, or to predict values of X that can be found in 'reality'.
	In that sense, obtaining predicted values beyond 0 or 1 should not cause any problem.

	But I am interested in knowing the opinion of the theorists in this list....

	Justina