Re: st: Mata performance monitoring

From   [email protected] (William Gould, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Mata performance monitoring
Date   Mon, 07 Feb 2011 13:06:40 -0600

Gordon Hughes <[email protected]> writes,

> I am experiencing severe performance bottlenecks in implementing a
> maximum likelihood estimator for spatial panel data using Mata.  This
> is not surprising given [...]
>
> [...] I would like to find out where the pay-off would be greatest
> for improving the code and reducing memory usage.  Some systems offer
> tools that permit the user to track how much time and memory is
> consumed [...]

There is an undocumented Mata functioun that may be helpful; see
-help mata timer()-.  Mata provides up to 100 independent timers
for timing blocks of code, and will give statistics on number of
calls, total time, and average time per call.

There is no tool for documenting memory consumption.

For a complete list of the undocumented features of Stata, see
-help undocumented-.

-- Bill