Re: st: SPLINE commands

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: SPLINE commands
Date   Fri, 4 Feb 2011 17:33:07 +0000

As it happens, linear splines are a special case of B-splines. The sensible basis for a linear spline (I think) is a basis of fuzzy interval membership functions, also known as tent functions. These fuzzy interval membership functions are both the B-spline basis and the reference-spline basis of the space of linear splines on a given set of knots. So, the corresponding parameters are the values of the spline at the knots. And the values of the spline between any 2 successive knots are linearly interpolated between the values of the spline at the knots. So, as Maarten says, linear splines are easy to interpret, although not expected to be literally true. For some illustrations see Newson (2011), which is the latest version of the -bspline- manual.

Best wishes

Roger