RE: st: sequence of random values is repeated as I re-run code

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: sequence of random values is repeated as I re-run code
Date   Fri, 4 Feb 2011 15:09:48 +0000

Next guess: If you start each session with a call to your program, you start with the same seed.

I just left Stata, got in again and did this:

. di c(seed)
X075bcd151f123bb5159a55e50022865746ad

And then the same again:

. di c(seed)
X075bcd151f123bb5159a55e50022865746ad

Looks the same to me.

So, a test of your problem is open Stata, do your thing two, three, ... times in a session and tell us whether it is still true.

Also, even if you don't -set seed- are you sure that nothing you are using does not do that?

Prado De Castro Alfaiate, Jorge

Dear ergiy Radyakin and Nick Cox,

Thank you for your answers.

In my code I basically maximize a function several times using ml. I set different initial (random) values each time...

What I find "weird" is that everytime that I re-run the code Stata delivers the exact same initial values (that is, the same random numbers) as in the previous time I run it... Therefore this means that the same sequence of random numbers generated was repeated (and my code requires about thousands of random numbers)...

I don't set "seed" anywhere in my code and am thus solely relying on Stata to provide different random numbers each time.