RE: st: RE: Control of format in output of commands?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Control of format in output of commands?
Date   Fri, 4 Feb 2011 15:03:56 +0000

Agreed. And it's the same principle. Someone (StataCorp plus Jeroen Weesie, I think) wrote -tabstat- on top of -summarize- with some control of formats.

However, -tabstat- annoys when you ask for the sample size and that too is given to 2 d.p. even when as usually it is an integer.

-moments- (SSC) is another example. Here is the document of its -format()- option where you can specify a vector of formats:

"format() controls the display format of mean, standard deviation, skewness and kurtosis, as follows. Up to four numeric formats may be given. The first numeric format given controls the display of the mean; any second numeric format that of the standard deviation; any third numeric format that of the skewness, and any fourth numeric format that of the kurtosis. Formats not specified default to %9.3f."

Christopher Baum
Subject: Re: st: RE: Control of format in output of commands?

On Feb 4, 2011, at 2:33 AM, Nick wrote:

> What you do in -format- doesn't carry over to -summarize-. That's the way it's written.

Quite so. But that is not the only way to (partially) skin that particular cat:

. tabstat mpg, stat(mean sd min max) f(%9.2f)

    variable |      mean        sd       min       max
         mpg |     21.30      5.79     12.00     41.00

Admittedly it doesn't work for confidence intervals, but it does for any statistic that tabstat can produce.