Re: st: foreach global macro not working with multiple macros

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   "<[email protected]>" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: foreach global macro not working with multiple macros
Date   Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:47:23 +0000

<>
On Feb 3, 2011, at 5:45 AM, Seed, Paul wrote:

> **first 6 and last 6 lines are from log, remove those:
> drop in 1/6  // Eric dropped only 4 lines.  I am not sure why.
> drop in `=_N+1-6'/l  // Using _N-6 would drop 7 lines,
> // including one of the local macros!

Admittedly, the solution I posed was a kludge, aimed at keeping you from having to type out all your globals.   Your code comments ask why I dropped a certain # of lines, I think part of the problem was that I had -rmsg- set on which put in some extra lines and I probably miscounted some lines while trying out a couple of different scenarios to help you solve your problem-- the number of lines dropped did work for me at some point.  However, that's why I always put warnings in the commenting about checking this on your own.

Since the exchange yesterday, I've toyed with creating an .ado file that can unabbreaviate macros with a syntax similar to -unab- (so the syntax is currently:  mac_unab macname : varlist ) that will store the unabbreviated list in `r(mac_list)' , but I cannot find a way to capture the list of macros besides creating a logfile for the -macro li- output which must be run -noisily- from within the .ado file to capture the macros of interest in the log file.  I'd be interested to hear if someone knows about another approach to capture the output from -macro li- from inside a program without having it show up in the results window.  Also, if anyone is interested in taking a look at -mac_unab-, let me know.

- Eric

__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute