Re: st: Correcting for self selection

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Correcting for self selection
Date   Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:01:32 -0800

Using an offset is one reasonable approach. In essence, it turns the outcome
variable (number of wins - or probability of winning [Poisson or logistic,
respectively] into a rate (divided by the number of entries per
organization).

Another possible way to approach this is to match organizations on important
characteristics and then see which characteristics differentiate between
those organizations that win and those that don't. One of the important
variables to match on would be the "rate of submissions". In other words, we
can see how winners and losers are differentiated, after controlling for
rate of submission.

The organizations that compete more are obviously organized in a manner to
support this high rate. That is what you're probably interested in ferreting
out.

It is probably a good idea to test different approaches and see which is the
most robust and can stand up to critique.

I hope this helps