Re: st: Creating local from levelsof exceeding 255 characters

Subject   Re: st: Creating local from levelsof exceeding 255 characters
Date   Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:39:14 -0500

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Palan, Stefan
([email protected]) <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Naturally, you are right, Maarten. I have now found the problem, but don't know how to address it.
>
> What I do is, I fill my local "a" with the levelsof some variable. The local a then contains some 100 numbers. But then, I need to create a local that contains a string that looks like "t1 t2 t4 t7...". In other words, it needs to contain an entry for each number in a, but with a leading "t", because my variable names are t1, t2, etc. What I do is the following:
>
> foreach v of local a {
>    local b="`b' t`v'"
> }

clear
sysuse auto
levelsof rep78, local(r)
foreach lev in `r' {
	local b `"`b' t`lev'"'
}
display `"`b'"'

Since you are constructing variable names, see if -reshape- may be of
any use in your case.

Best S.R.