RE: st: locally weighted regression with weighted data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: locally weighted regression with weighted data
Date   Fri, 7 Jan 2011 17:59:54 +0000

It's easier (e.g.) to construct your own set of spline predictors with -mkspline- and then call up -regress- directly. Then you can have any weights you want.

Tastes and experiences will vary -- a lot -- but for a default regression-type smooth I typically now prefer fractional polynomial or cubic spline regressions, rather than any kernel method, such as lowess (loess) or local polynomials.

They tend to be smoother (informally) and faster and come equipped with confidence interval machinery -- to be treated sceptically rather than deferentially, of course.
Also, you can combine with other predictors.

Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez

You could bin your x variable and calculate weighted means of the y
variable for each bin, then run -lowess- on the means. This is the
approach used in the following article, although it is used to local
polinomial regression (command -lpoly-).

D. R. Bellhouse and J. E. Stafford. Local polynomial regression in complex
survey. Survey Methodology, 27(2):197–203, 2001.

Florian Scheuer