Re: st: Ranking derived from sports scores

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Ranking derived from sports scores
Date   Wed, 5 Jan 2011 11:55:43 -0600

On Jan 5, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Jeff Davies wrote:
I am currently evaluating Stata as a suitable tool for generating numerical rankings for players as a result of head-to-head competition that produces a comparative score (7-4). Most players meet each other in competitive games on a regular basis but there are others who participate only once or rarely. The rankings should be weighted in favor of consistency and more recent performance.

I am not a statistician but have a sound understanding of computer programming and database systems. Any assistance that anyone can offer to point me in the right direction in terms of technique and determining the most suitable tool would be very much appreciated.

A model often used for this type of thing is the Bradley-Terry model:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pairwise_comparison

which is also discussed in most texts on categorical data analysis. The model can be fit using certain commands in Stata that perform logistic regression, e.g.,

    http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/examples/icda/icdast9.htm

(Section 9.6.1). Agresti's book Categorical Data Analysis has a nice introductory discussion of the Bradley-Terry model, and the literature is full of applications and various extensions that have been developed.

-- Phil