Re: st: comparing results from cluster and stratified analysis

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: comparing results from cluster and stratified analysis
Date   Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:25:30 -0500

--
You can certainly compare the results, but it won't hurt to do the non- stratified analysis on the reduced data set. A formal test of the effect of family would require a bootstrap or a test of the Gamma parameter in the random effects frailty model; but the Gamma assumption is quite restrictive.

Perhaps you misunderstand the role of clusters. The -vce()- options, including -vce(cluster ), affect only the estimation of standard errors. You could use any -vce()- option for a non-stratified analysis or stratified analysis. So, in the stratified analysis, family could be both a cluster and a stratum variable.

To drop all groups with tied values for covariates x1 x2 x3 x4:.

*********First Principles********************
bys group: gen gc1= _N
bys group x1 x2 x3 x4: drop if _N==gc1
duplicates drop group x1 x2 x3 x4