st: Interpretation of transition probabilities

From   "Pavlos C. Symeou" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Interpretation of transition probabilities
Date   Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:26:54 +0200

Dear Statalisters,

Season's greetings.

I am working on the modeling of an ordered variable "projects" which takes values from 0-6 denoting the number of construction projects undertaken by a construction firm during a year. I want to tell a few things about the probability of change in the number of projects undertaken by the sample firms over time. I have observations for 100 firms over the period 1991-2008 and I use the -xttrans- command which gives me the following table. As far as I understand, referring to the second column, 90% of those firms with zero projects in one year have a chance of 16% to get one project in the next year. What I don't understand is what the last row "Total" tells.

projects

0

1

2

3

4

5

6

Total

0

90.47

8.76

0.69

0.09

0

0

0

100

1

16.07

70.03

12.97

0.93

0

0

0

100

2

2.07

16.99

69.28

11.52

0.15

0

0

100

3

1.7

2.38

18.37

70.41

7.14

0

0

100

4

1.96

0

3.92

21.57

66.67

5.88

0

100

5

0

0

0

0

11.54

84.62

3.85

100

6

0

0

0

0

0

50

50

100

Total

58.03

22.83

12.3

5.34

1.01

0.45

0.03

100

I hope you can verify my interpretation and enlighten me about the last row.

Best wishes and happy new year,

Pavlos