st: RE: Stata's user menu doesn't work

From   "Brian P. Poi" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Stata's user menu doesn't work
Date   Tue, 28 Dec 2010 11:41:26 -0500

Dear All,

there is something wrong with the user's menu in Stata 11:
the demo code from the help file doesn't work and my code that used to work
before doesn't work anymore.

Here "doesn't work" means that although there is no error message, nothing
happens to the menu. Running nonsense menu-modifying commands causes the
expected error messages, so the parsing is definitely being done.

Tried on two different machines with Stata IC, SE and MP for Windows (IC and
SE updated to most recent released build 702, MP running an older build)
with same effect.

Stata 10 and 9 installed on the same machine work fine and add submenus and
items to the user menu.

Example of command that worked in Stata 10 and doesn't work in Stata 11:

window menu append submenu "stUser" "New Menu"

Thank you, Sergiy Radyakin

Sergiy,

I think you need to do a -window menu refresh- in Stata 11 to get the menu
changes to take effect.  Your example in isolation doesn't work, but this
does:

. window menu append submenu "stUser" "New Menu"
. window menu refresh

Brian Poi