Re: st: Suppress labeling of categorical axis values in graph bar/hbar

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   "<[email protected]>" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Suppress labeling of categorical axis values in graph bar/hbar
Date   Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:31:51 +0000

<>

I think that working with the relabel option is your best bet.  You can automate
 the creation of the  relabel() expression with a loop, but normally I'd suggest
 building it in a local macro , but I couldn't get the local to store the double
quotes for use in the relabel option.

Here's some examples of things I tried:

***!
sysuse auto, clear
forval n = 1/`=_N' {
	loc la1 `la1' `"`n' " " "'
	loc la2 `la2' "`n' " " "
	loc la3 `la3' `n' `" "'
	loc la4 `"`la4' `n' " "'"'
	}
forval n = 1/4 {
	di in y as smcl "`n' {hline}"
	di in g "`la`n''"
	}
***!
Anyone have an idea of how to store the double quotes  in a local to pass to the
relabel option?

Since using the local didn't work for me, here's a less straightforward solution
using a couple of string variables (which are limited to 244 chars) to do essentially
the same thing:

***********!
sysuse auto, clear

foreach v in "1/15" "16/30" "31/45" "46/60" "61/74" {
**get variable name**
loc varname `v'
loc varname: subinstr local varname `"/"' "", all

**create "o" vars with relabel option**
g o`varname' = ""
forval n = `v' {
if !inlist(`n', 1, 20, 40, 60 , 74)  ///
replace o`varname' = o`varname' + `" `n' " " "'
if inlist(`n', 1, 20, 40, 60 , 74)  ///
replace o`varname' = o`varname' + `" `n' "`=make[`n']' ""'
 }
}

ds o* //<-- Here's the new vars for relabel()

graph hbar (asis) price, bargap(10)  ///
 over(make, relabel(`=o115' ///
 `=o1630'  `=o3145'  `=o4660'  `=o6174')  ///
 label(angle(horizontal) labsize(vsmall) labgap(5)))

***********!

After kludging all this together, it might be more work than typing out
 the relabel()  for 74 obs in the auto.dta;  however, it would be useful
for much  larger datasets.  (However,  you can't get too much larger
before  the bars become indistinguishable.)

- Eric
__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute