Re: st: Stata Temp File issue

Subject   Re: st: Stata Temp File issue
Date   Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:16:09 -0500

Dear John,
while Stata creates temporary data files ST_* upon your request of
tempfile, preserve, and restore, it
also creates tempfiles for its own use. The third letter denotes the
purpose of the file:

STG*.TMP files are related to Graphs (every graph window creates a new
file of this kind);
STD*.TMP files are related to Do-files Editor; (you see something like
. do "R:\TEMP\STD0b000000.tmp" in the output window when you click
<do>-icon in the do-files editor)
STi*.TMP files are related to Viewer / Help files (one per each viewer window)
STS*.TMP data snapshot files (one per each snapshot)
STJ*.TMP files are not 100% clear, but most probably contain a
collection of variables
etc

Normally all of them should vanish after Stata is closed.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin