st: RE: Bill Gould, the blogger

From   DE SOUZA Eric <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Bill Gould, the blogger
Date   Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:53:23 +0100

Thanks for reminding me about the Stata blog. I had added a link to my Favourites but then forgot about it under work pressure.

Eric de Souza
College of Europe
BE-8000 Brugge (Bruges)
Belgium

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Stas Kolenikov
Sent: 15 December 2010 18:32
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Bill Gould, the blogger

Dear statalisters,

I would like to bring up an excellent write up of how to effectively frame your statalist communication:

http://blog.stata.com/2010/12/14/how-to-successfully-ask-a-question-on-statalist/

My two cents that I would like to add to it is that when you ask a question about a user-written routine, you need to tell specifically what the version is (-which blah-) and how you obtained it. If it is not available on SSC and cannot be located with -findit-, and you got it over the intranet in your organization's MARS (messy archive of random software), chances are nobody will be able to answer the question except the author of the code. Sometimes, updates with bug fixes or improved functionality are available, but since those are user-written programs, they won't get themselves updated automatically, unlike the official Stata -update-.