Re: st: How to list all the observation meeting the conditions which are the former results?

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   "<[email protected]>" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: How to list all the observation meeting the conditions which are the former results?
Date   Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:25:45 +0000

<>

You could build your -if- conditions in a macro, see the example below:

**********************!
//1. dataset_target//
/*
you will apply the conditions in which z<=5
in the "dataset_source" to this dataset later on
*/

clear
set obs 5000
foreach a in x y z {
	g `a' = int(abs(runiform()*50))
}
sa "dataset_target.dta", replace

//2.  dataset_source//
/*
this is the dataset where you get the values
of x & y where z<=5
*/

clear
set obs 50
foreach a in x y z {
	g `a' = int(abs(runiform()*50))
}

l if z<=5

//3.  put  x&y pairs where z<=5 in global macro //
global myif
forval n = 1/`=_N' {
if `=z[`n']'<=5 {
global myif | (x==`=x[`n']' & y==`=y[`n']') $myif
di in r "$myif"
}
}
global myif:subinstr global myif "|" ""
global myif if $myif

	*--Here are the conditions where z<=5--*
di in y "$myif"

	*--list these obs. in source dataset--*
li z $myif

//4. use conditions in global $myif on target dataset(s)//
u "dataset_target.dta", clear
 li z $myif

- Eric
__