st: xtnbreg discontinous region encountered after rescaling

From   hl <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: xtnbreg discontinous region encountered after rescaling
Date   Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:59:29 +0100

I am running a series of fixed effects negative binomial panel regressions (xtnbreg, fe) on different dependent variables. I have encountered some specifications that do not converge or cannot be computed due to discontinous regions before. However, one specific regression that worked fine suddenly returns

discontinuous region encountered
cannot compute an improvement
r(430);

after I rescaled one independent variable. I didnt change anything substantial, just divided by factor 100 - how is that possible?

thanks very much,

Hl.