RE: st: Uninstalling older versions of stata? / Wish I'd known earlier

From   "Allan Reese (Cefas)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Uninstalling older versions of stata? / Wish I'd known earlier
Date   Wed, 8 Dec 2010 11:10:48 -0000

I wrote:
>   5) The older version will include Do and ADO files downloaded (eg
> from SSC) at various times or amended.  After upgrading it may take me
some time to recall
> what has been added or amended, so best to keep all the old files just
in case.

And then found -adoupdate-* which lists all the SSC bits that have been
added and -adopath- which lists the order of searching.

While I'm sure Stata and SSC are consistent, what worried me was that
there is an -ado- path under ...\stataX and another under C:\ado - but I
have not created and used \ado\personal.  Just read in [U]17.5.2 that
I'm therefore an "old-time Stata user"! I'm not paranoid but just
*annoyed* for many years that, under Windows, files get created all over
the place and we are all at the mercy of the Registry (which I think
Stata doesn't use).

Allan

* for Ronan to add to his list

This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only.  Its unauthorised use, distribution, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and notify the sender.  In messages of a non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect those of the organisation from which it is sent.  All emails may be subject to monitoring.