RE: st: RE: complicated scatterplot with connected points

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: complicated scatterplot with connected points
Date   Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:00:42 +0000

See also -linkplot- from SSC.

Antoine Terracol

is this what you are looking for?

clear
input str10 id_city        x1   y1   x2    y2    x3   y3  str10 city1
  str10   city2    str10   city3
"Portland"    34   64   23    78    54   67   "Portland1"  "Portland2"
"Portland3"
"Chicago"     53   72   33    52    91   77   "Chicago1"   "Chicago2"
"Chicago3"
"Boston"      50   70   30    50    90   70   "Boston1"   "Boston2"
"Boston3"
end

reshape long x y city, i(id_city) j(period)

sort id_city period

twoway (connected y x if id_city=="Portland", mlabel(city)) ///
(connected y x if id_city=="Chicago", mlabel(city)) ///
(connected y x if id_city=="Boston", mlabel(city))

On 05/12/2010 15:54, Gisella Young wrote:

> Thank you for the hint but unfortunately I have not been able to see how this solves the problem. Reshaping the data as you suggest is not a problem, but I still can't see how to connect the scatterplot points with lines in the specific way needed. Perhaps you (or someone else) could give a further clue, or elaborate some of the other various approaches that you mention exist?

Nick Cox

>> There are various approaches to this.
>> One is to restructure your data so that the graphics command
>> becomes easier.
>>
>> preserve
>> reshape long x y, i(city)

Gisella Young