st: Failure time analysis- dependent data coding

From   "Oliver M. Beckers" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Failure time analysis- dependent data coding
Date   Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:22:16 -0600

Hello,

I seek help with a failure time analysis I am trying to do with Stata.

Here is my experimental design:
From each female I got multiple juvenile offspring. These juveniles were split into two groups and each group was subjected to one treatment. Within each treatment, I measured how long each of the juveniles survived. I repeated this procedure with offspring of multiple (independent/unrelated) females.

Here is an example with numbers:
I got 7 offspring from female #1. I split the offspring in one group of 3 and one group of 4. The first group was subjected to treatment one (dry) and the second group to treatment 2 (wet). I measured how long each of the 7 individuals survived. I did the same thing with the offspring of a total of 5 females.

I want to measure if survival differed between the two treatments (dry/wet).

The problem:
I have two levels of dependence among my data and I am not sure if my procedure (stata command and arrangement of the data) accounted for the dependences of the data:
1.) I have multiple full siblings within each treatment,
and 2.) I have multiple full siblings between the two treatments.

I used the "stcox treatment, shared (female)" command, and assigned all offspring from the same female that were used in both treatments the same "female" number to account for dependence of data. So, for the above example all 7 offspring were assigned the same female number (#1). Furthermore, I assigned for each juvenile in separate columns a) the treatment, b) juvenile number, c) time till death, and d) censored (1/0; some juveniles survived longer than the maximum time of our observations).

My question is:
does this command/arrangement of data account for the within and between treatment dependence (frailty) of the data, or not? If not, what would be the correct command and data arrangement in Stata to compare the survival between the two treatment groups?

Thank you very much for any help,
Oliver Beckers